Sunday, January 11, 2015

{Glory Art} Scripture Challenge #1, Trust

Note: Please scroll down after reading this post to see the second post for today. The post below is one you will want to bookmark since it will contain all of our challenge links for this year.

Welcome to the first {Glory Art} Scripture Challenge for 2015. I am so excited to have each of you studying and creating with me! If you have not seen the introduction to this study, please see that post by clicking here. Also please note that all scripture references are taken from the NIV unless otherwise noted. Now let's see what God has for us today. 

The Study
Have you ever participated in one of those trust building exercises called a 'trust fall'? It is where you deliberately fall backwards trusting that your teammates will catch you before you hit the ground. I personally have never done it but I have seen it done countless times. Why haven't I done it? First, I have never been part of a group that has done that kind of exercise. Second, if I did, would I do it? I don't know. I am scared to fall. Would I trust the group of people with me enough to catch me? Depends on the group! I know some people I truly would trust and others I would not. I imagine some of you can agree with me on that. Even though there are people I may not trust, there is One in whom I can always trustJesus!

Psalm 118:8 "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans."

One hymn that I love is called "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus." To listen to this hymn, click here. It is a gorgeous version of this hymn. The first verse and refrain say this:

"'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
and to take Him at His word;
just to rest upon His promise,
and to know, "Thus saith the Lord."

Refrain: Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!"

Hymnary.org says this about this hymn, "In 1880, the husband of Louisa Stead, author of "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" drowned. Two years later, this hymn was published. It is widely believed that she wrote this hymn in response to the peace she found in trusting Jesus despite her sorrow. Mrs. Stead went on to serve for many years as a missionary in Africa."

So what is trust? The Layman's Bible Encyclopedia says "The assured resting of the mind of one person on the integrity, honor, justice, love, truth, or any other sound principle in another. The trust which the Christian has in God is an exemplification of his faith; the greater the trust the greater the degree of faith. The Bible urges complete trust in God and shows us the blessings of it."

The greatest glory we can give to God is to love, obey, and trust Him at all times even when it’s difficult. It wasn’t easy for Jesus to go the cross yet He completely trusted His Father and did it out of obedience and love. We glorify God by faithfully doing what He calls us to do and putting our trust completely in Him.

What do you do when you are troubled? Do you sit and pout? Do you become that grouchy Christian to all of those around you? There is no need to be troubled or to turn into that grouchy Christian. God is in control. He says right here to “Trust in Him.”

Psalm 112:7 "They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord."

John 14:1 (NLT) "Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me."

As we go through this year, there are going to be times that we fall. But we can always trust that God will be there to catch us. So, will you trust in Jesus this year even when you feel like you are falling? Will you study His word so that it will be in your heart for those times that you feel lost, alone, troubled, etc.?

Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him."

Matthew 28:20 "and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Christian living and trusting in Him depends on our Christian learning. If we are lacking in knowledge, we are lacking in power. Will you make a commitment to daily study His word this year? Use these challenges to help you. Dive into the scriptures listed. Contemplate it. Grow in it, and be transformed by His word. You won't be disappointed that you have learned to trust in Jesus!

Isaiah 12:2 "Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; He has become my salvation."

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

The Art
For my creation today, I decided to create four Scripture Art Cards. For the base of the cards, I used the four cards I started the other day with book paper. I posted about these cards in our first "Glory Arts {Tips}" post. If you missed that post, click here

I used several chipboard pieces from Blue Fern Studios. The sets I used are called "Ornate Crosses," "Blue Fern Bits," "Broken Rings," and "Heart Set." I am giving away an Ornate Crosses set. To see how to enter to win, see this post here. I also used several verses from above along with the hymn title. So, the above pre-made cards turned into these:



Feel free to join us on the Facebook page where some people will be sharing their creations. We also have some discussions that will be going on there too about the study. If you don't use Facebook and want to share your creation here, do so below by using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge, please see this post here. And finally, I leave you with this verse today. Blessings to you as you study!

Romans 15:13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Product List (click product tags for more info)

View blog post for supplies

7 comments:

Kristen H said...

Gorgeous, Patter! I love the colors and the readings. The hymn is very nice!

Have a wonderful and Blessed week!

Teresa Kline said...

WOW, the scripture cards are gorgeous, luv the teal. thanks for the scriptures! What a great way to start the year, with trust...I can't wait to see how God speaks to me!


add a little glimmer in your life....sparkle & shine! *~*

Tricia said...

Your tags are gorgeous - I am excited to be starting on this journey. I have wanted to get my faith into my art for a long time, but haven't done much with it yet. So I'm really hoping this will be a big help for that. I've been making tags lately, so I think I'll use yours as inspiration. Thanks for sharing and for the effort you've put into making this happen.

Blessings,
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, Patter. My mother is in hospice care (mostly us with their help in her home) and I need to trust God as never before day by day. It IS sweet to trust in Jesus, though. Bible verses that encourage are helping me greatly. Praying for you, Jennifer in Ohio

Roxxi Heart said...

Thank you so much for this study. God has used you for encouragement in my life at a time of change, a new season in my and my husband's life just on the horizon. Instead of being fearful, because of our faith and trust in the Lord, we are looking to Him to supply all our needs. I have been amazed at how He has shown His faithfulness in our obedience.
Again, I'm thankful and excited being a part of Glory Art. I am almost finished with the first weeks challenge!

Unknown said...

I love your cards, the colours and the backgrounds are wonderful.
I came here after seeing a link on facebook to the study/challenge and although I've been doing a few others, I think I have to do this first one at the very least and then may be others. A couple of days ago I was making a tag and took out a little ticket with the word 'trust' on. I didn't actually use it, but it has been sat on my desk ever since because I kept looking at it.

joy said...

Today you suffer pain and neglect but tomorrow is an another day so worry no more because every pain has an exchange. The exchange to it is happiness and unconditional love. Visit my site for more information. Have a good day and God bless your site.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Related Posts with Thumbnails